A SENIOR Customs officer in Auckland is under investigation for trying to use his position to fast-track residency for a female Indonesian overstayer he was allegedly having sex with.
The Sunday Star-Times has learned a Customs investigation – under way since May – is looking into claims the officer accepted sex and money from the woman in exchange for helping her with immigration issues.
Customs is refusing to release details of the case, saying only that an officer has been stood down and an internal investigation is being conducted into an employment matter. A spokesman said the inquiry would take at least another six weeks. It is unclear if the police have been involved.
The allegations have shocked the man's colleagues. He has more than 25 years' experience, is married, and holds a senior position within the Customs service.
Sources have told the Star-Times that Customs investigators found documents in the officer's desk that caused them concern. The documents related to his using his title and senior position to fast-track residency for the Indonesian overstayer.
A subsequent New Zealand Immigration Service investigation found he had pressured immigration staff to fast-track the application. The source said the investigation established there were "financial transactions" between their bank accounts, and Customs had uncovered evidence of an ongoing sexual relationship as payback for support.
A source said an Immigration Service employee was also under investigation for helping the Customs officer assist the overstayer.
The Department of Labour's head of immigration, Nigel Bickle, confirmed the service was conducting an investigation into one of its staff "in terms of possible inappropriate use of information".
He said he could not comment further while the investigation was under way because it could prejudice inquiries.
The Star-Times last week approached a Customs officer named by a source as the suspended officer, but he denied it was him. "I'm on leave at the moment, I don't have to disclose anything. I haven't been stood down at all, so I don't know where you got your information from," he said.
"I have no idea what you're talking about, I don't know any Indonesians."
The officer said he had been on leave for "a couple of weeks". Asked when he would return to work, he said: "That's my business. I could go back any time I like."
He said he planned to go away on holiday with his wife this week.
The officer called the allegations "crap" and said several times he would call his boss, Customs investigations manager Bill Perry, to sort out the matter. Perry said on Friday he had not received a call from the officer. He said he could not comment on whether the man was at the centre of the allegations.
Labour's Customs spokesman, Su'a William Sio, urged the service to finish its investigation speedily and release the results publicly, because the allegations were serious.
A spokesperson for Customs Minister Maurice Williamson said the minister would not comment on an employment issue.
(Source Sunday Star Times)


